Modern Management of Acute Atrial Fibrillation and Flutter
1Emergency Medicine, U Ottawa, Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians, Canada
Dr Ian Stiell is Distinguished Professor of Emergency Medicine at the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is an internationally known academic with a special expertise in the management of acute atrial fibrillation (AF) in the ED. He will review various international AF guidelines and the current evidence base with these goals:
1) encourage ED physicians to use an immediate cardioversion approach so that patients can be quickly and safely discharged home from the ED in normal sinus rhythm;
2) review how to assess the safety of urgent cardioversion by stratifying the risk of both short-term and long-term stroke;
3) review the optimal use of rate control drugs when appropriate;
4) review the best use of pharmacological agents for cardioversion;
5) review how to safely and effectively perform electrical cardioversion in the ED;
6) review the appropriate use of anti-thrombotic agents in the ED and at discharge;
7) discuss the few instances where hospital admission may be indicated; and
8) discuss optimal follow-up after discharge home.
Questions from the audience will be encouraged.